Friday 28 August 2009

As happy as pigs in an artery clogging cake - the anti benecol

Upon coming across a nice looking recipe in the Sunday papers, I decided to persue some baking that didn't involve sweets or covering my camera in batter. Of course the moment I walked into M&S this idea was scuppered. The gloriously tasty Percy Pigs were by the cashier. I instantly jumped upon the notion that as they were large and foamy rather than gummi, they might not melt in such a counter productive as mini teleporting gummi bears. Surely a few pilot piggies wouldn't hurt an already unknown recipe? Plus the ringbearer looked positively delighted when I left the health food shop with Macademia nuts and nothing that looked like fruit or tofu, so I thought I could use that good currency to keep him guinea pigging.
Stage 1. Following the recipe I masterfully separated eggs (OK one bit of shell got in) and ground the nuts into a fine pulp. Just coz they were looking at me funny! Yeah! On a side note nuts are expensive, in future I might try mixing them up with something cheaper, like hazelnuts..... or sawdust.Stage 2. I then made the ovely gooey chocolatey, nutty mess. And found a problem. Its the old how to fold in sweets with beaten egg whites scenario. Would adding the piggies at this stage effect the airyness of my folding? I decided not to find out and elegantly folded away.

Stage 3. Shlomped the goo into a lined baking tin. The consistency was approximately that of blue tack. Definitely more elastic than viscous. If only I could have put it in a rheometer and found out more! With this punch resisting consistency came problems. How to insert the pigs? I tried putting them in sideways and hoping they would sink below the goo leaving one pink trotter dramatically held aloft. But no such luck (see the photo at the top). These piggies didn't seem to like chocolately, nutty mud and were trying to run all the ways home. So I forced their little heads under the mixture by he vicious application of a cocktail stick.
Stage 4. Baking was successful, although as you can see form above there was piggie rupture. But at least I knew where to look for them this time.

The ringbearer snaffled a chunk of cake before I could even point out where the piggies were. He helpfully offered the review, 'Tastes better than it has any right to'. Personally I didn't know cakes had rights and was a little concerned about how I had been violating them. In my opinion the piggies, which were still whole and tasty added a certain something without tasting artificial to an otherwise terrifyingly dense and rich cake. (The ringbearer was delighted with this causer of instant obesity and continued to wade through the cake with scary commitment.) After a 3cm^2 piece I was forced to have a lie down to try and clear my arteries.

Importantly I have now discovered that Percy Pigs are a key ingredient in sweetie/cake fusion baking. Under cake conditions they don't teleport, they stay pink and they taste nice. Trust M&S.

Suggestions for further baking always welcome

1 comment: