Friday 21 August 2009

Strudel Surprises - when mars bars, tootie fruities and cherries collide

I had intended to limit my strudel experiments to just mars bars. Standing in the newsagents perusing the selection, it became clear I needed to push the pastry envelope and I came home laden with Fudge bar, Mars bar, Munchies and a packet of Tooty Fruities. I decided against normal strudel and instead went for strudel packets (typically full of crushed lady fingers, almonds, marzipan and cherries), which allowed me a dazzling rainbow of sweetie experimentation. The report:
1. Ring and finger crisis. I forgot to buy lady fingers! Clearly these would be needed for moisture absorbtion, sweetness and bulk. I therefore decided to use party rings instead. Because they are sweet, they matched the theme of my experiment and I like eating them. So as not to appear prejudiced, I carefully decided to crush one party ring of each colour, instead of limiting myself to the orange ones.2. Pastry preparation. Not from a packet. Nooo. Lovingly made according to Dr Oetker's recipe and then rolled and stretched out on a tea towel.3. Filling decsions. The inside of the pastry squares was then smeared with ukky egg mixture in preparation for the filling. At this point I realised how foolish I was to have so many options. All the parcels needed to contain the almond/ party ring biscuit mix but would Marsbar go with marzipan, would Munchies go with cherries? I eventually decided on a list of varying fillings following the basic combinations shown below (notable exception being tooty fruities andthe fudge bar, which were always combined with cherries)

Sweetie + Cherries +marzipan
Sweetie + Cherries
Sweeties4. Parcel construction. This was very messy and in the process my careful planning came apart. Soon I could not remember what filling was in what what packet! Disaster? Not for the stout of heart, I decided instead that I had invented strudel roulette and the mystery(like that found in a packet of Revels) would add to the fun.
5. Baking The parcels were lovingly baked with only a few marsbarish ruptures. They were then messily dusted with icing sugar and served with a helpful warning about the contents.
Results!It didn't prove entirely impossible to tell the packets apart. To me, Munchies were pretty similar to marsbar and fudge. However, tooty fruities were very distinctive. Offering the cherries a strange fake-fruit after-taste to what was blatently real fruit. Fascinating. Anything chocolatey and cherries went well and even the marzipan seemed to work. The ringbearer complained bitterly when he got a normal cherry packet instead of a chocolatey one and offered extensive further insights into the strudel saying 'The experiment was successful', 'Munchies were the nicest' and 'Leave me alone, I'm watching the cricket'. So it's nice to know his assesments have reached 2 sentences instead of 1. Ultimately, I like fruit, so I'm not sure adding mars bar was a success, but I am apparently in the minority in this preference. But where next? An enormous Altrincham-Marsbar strudel? Or an upside down cake replacing pineapple rings with gummi snakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment